Protein energy balls have to be one of my favorite indulgences for a snack, a dessert or even an on the go treat. Not to mention they are a healthy option packed with protein for my family to eat guilt-free. When I make them, they seem to go pretty fast as everyone in the house loves these little treats. I personally was hooked when I first tried one, it became an obsession and I loved how easy they were to make and eat too!
One of the greatest thing about this recipe is that you can customize it to your own dietary needs and desires. Sometimes I will substitute peanut butter for almond butter, or add chia seeds into the mix. There is also a vegan version of this, if you would like to swap out ingredients for vegan or gluten friendly options, you may do that as well. Lets’ get started with what you will need.
Prep Time: 10 min ·Cook Time: 0 min ·Ready in: 10 min Yield: 24 1″ balls Ingredients
- 1 cup (256 grams) natural peanut butter (the kind with just peanuts and salt)
- 1/4 cup (80 grams) honey or 1/4 cup brown rice syrup for a vegan version
- 1 1/2 cups (135 grams) rolled oats (use gluten-free oats, if needed)
- 1/2 cup (42 grams) unsweetened shredded coconut
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup (57 grams) chocolate chips (or use vegan chocolate chips, if needed)
1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the peanut butter and honey.
2. Next stir in the oats, shredded coconut and salt until well combined and then add the chocolate chips. If the mixture doesn’t hold together well when pinched together, add a little more honey and or peanut butter.
3. Once the mixture is fully worked into the oats, get a spoon full and begin to roll into a 1 inch ball. Place the protein energy ball on a baking sheet or in a container to be sealed for freshness.
4. Place in the fridge or enjoy as soon as you finish making them!